What is halal certification and what are the requirements?
JAKIM said that a Malaysian Halal Certification is an official form mentioning the halal standing of products and/or services in accordance with the Malaysia Halal Certification scheme issued by the competent authority. In Malaysia, the only halal certification that can be recognized is the one issued from JAKIM (Jabatan Kemajuan Islam Malaysia).
Malaysian halal certification scheme is divided into 7 schemes, and companies or manufacturers are able to choose the scheme they want to use based on the type of their products or services. The 7 schemes are as follows:
- Food product / beverages / food supplement
- Food premise/hotel
- Consumer goods
- Cosmetic and personal care
The word “halal” comes from the Arabic word namely “halla, yahillu, hillan, wahalalan” which means allowed or permissible by the Shariah law. According to Trade Descriptions (Definition of Halal) Order 2011 and 2012, the halal definition is as follows:
- When food or goods can be consumed or used by a Muslim, due to the following:
- It doesn’t contain any part of the matter of animals which are prohibited by Shariah law for a Muslim to consume, and if it contains animal meat, it has been slaughtered in accordance with Shariah law and Fatwa
- Does not contain anything impure/najs based on Shariah law and Fatwa
- Does not intoxicate according to Shariah law and Fatwa
- Does not contain any part of a human being or its yield which are not allowed by Shariah law and Fatwa
- Is not poisonous or hazardous to health
- The goods have not been ready, processed or manufactured using any equipment that is defiled with najs according to Shariah Law and Fatwa
- The goods are not in the process of preparing it, processing or container has been in contact with, mixed, or in close proximity to any food that fails to satisfy paragraph (a) and (b).
- When services that related to the food or goods indicate that the services can be used by a Muslim, it means that it is in accordance with Shariah law.
Malaysia halal certification is not mandatory for all products or services, it is compulsory and only the applicant or manufacturer that meets the requirements from JAKIM which are:
- Register with the SSM / Malaysia Co-operative Societies Commission / other government agencies
- Hold a business license from the local authorities/government agency
- In full operation before an application is made
- Produce and/or handle only halal products
- Ensure to have halal suppliers which can be proven by having the recognized halal certificate
- Apply for all types of products which are produced by the factory/premise
- Repackaging must be accompanied by a recognized halal certificate for the said products
- Applications which are not eligible are the ones which have non-halal products, no standard reference/guideline, use similar branding for halal and non-halal products, give negative implication towards religion and social, natural products which does not involve any processing, fertilizer and animal feed, crockery, paper, products which use synonymous name with halal products, local and imported finished products which are relabeled without undergoing any processes in Malaysia, kitchen or food services which prepare haram cuisine based on Sharia law, products in the early stage of R&D, products that can lead to deviation of aqidah, hotel with kitchen that prepared pork-based menu.
- Products which do not have reference standard/ guideline may be considered as long as fulfills these criteria: having direct contact with food; there is uncertainty on the sources of manufacturing materials; use as processing aids in food manufacturing; does not raise confusion of it is certified.
Benefits of halal certification
Possessing halal certification Malaysia is not only beneficial for Muslim consumers, but also for the company. Along with compliance with Sharia requirements, by having halal certification Malaysia the company can get potential business growth. The Muslim community in Malaysia is developing each year and the market is also expanding, creating many opportunities for the company to sell many of their halal products or services and grow their business. In addition, the company can also improve access to the global market, reaching those Muslim who reside in other countries that needed the halal products for their necessities. The halal logo printed on the product or services label can convince the consumer to buy the products, as they are sure that they getting safe halal products which are required by Sharia law. It will improve the costumer’s satisfaction toward your company and services, giving it a much better image. Getting halal certification Malaysia also help you to produce high-quality products, as the halal requirements are also implied that your product should be clean & hygiene, good for the health, and free from harmful ingredients.
Halal Certification Process
To get Malaysia halal certification from JAKIM, first, the applicant must submit an online application. The application then accepted by the MYeHALAL system. After supporting documents from the applicant received by JAKIM halal, they will review the application and audit the documents. If the documents sent were incomplete, applicants should do corrective action so that the document audit process can be completed. JAKIM halal will then issue a Charges Letter, which is consist of the cost applicant needed to pay for getting the Malaysia halal certification. Following the payment from the applicant, JAKIM halal will schedule your company/services for the audit. In the on-site audit, the auditor will take samples and send it for laboratory analysis to ensure that all the ingredients used are based on halal products. The auditor will also look at applicant manufacturing or services process and if they are not satisfied with the company/services procedures, they will give you non-conformance report (NCR) so that the applicant can take corrective action. The audit then does the re-inspection and make an audit report, which also contained the laboratory analysis results. The report then passes on to Malaysia Halal Certification in Panel Meeting, in which they will give decision whether the applicant passes the halal requirements based on their standards or not. In the case of the applicant failing the panel meeting expectation, JAKIM halal will give a notification letter saying that the applicant failed to get the halal certificate in Malaysia. If the applicant passes the halal requirements, then Malaysia Halal certificate will be issued and the process is completed. The applicant will be free to use the halal certification Malaysia logo on their products or services.
The Jakim halal certification is valid for 2 years except for the slaughterhouse, it only valid for 1 year. After it expires the company must renew the certificate. The Submission of Jakim Halal Certification in Malaysia for the renewal process should be submitted at least 3 months before the expiry date along with a complete application form and other relevant documents.
Halal Certification Consultancy
Malaysian halal certification consultant can help you and your company to get that Malaysian halal logo printed on your products or services by acquiring the halal certification from JAKIM halal. With our expertise, we can ensure you to prepare all necessary things regarding halal certification processes so that your company won’t waste precious time and money to do things that are not in accordance with the halal certification requirements.
Generally, to meet all the Malaysia halal certification demand we will help your company through all this step:
- Create a Halal Team
- Define the product, service, or nature of business
- Develop and verify flow control chart
- Identify halal risks and control measures
- Determine halal assurance points (HAPs) their allowance limits and prescribe practices
- Develop a monitoring system for each HAP
- Develop corrective action for each HAP
- Establish documentation and record keeping system
- Verify the Halal System
- Review the Halal System
The halal consultancy will provide you consultancy services to get Halal Certification in Malaysia from JAKIM. After getting to know the company and your products or services, we can design a gap analysis to determine the problem within the premises. We will also help you to arrange the documentation of halal premises, and assist to complete the halal certificate application through the e-halal website as required by JAKIM halal body. Before the actual audit happening, we provide an internal halal audit to ensure that all halal requirements were met so that your company's products and/or services can successfully getting the Halal Certification Malaysia from JAKIM Halal.
In the event of your company wants to expand your halal products to other countries, we can help you to provide consultation on which halal certification body is right to choose for your needs. This is due to some countries have their own specification or regulation in which halal certification that will be recognized by them.
After getting all the information needed regarding halal certification, you must have some interest in getting your products to be halal certified. Feel free to ask us any time regarding the halal certification matters, our staff will gladly help you to provide more information that you need and we are looking forward to working together with your company and help you to expand your market by getting the halal certification Malaysia.
Ask for a pricing
Morbi tellus purus, tempor quis molestie sed, venenatis ut nulla. Mauris ac eros sit amet ex euismod sodales non non purus. Praesent mattis, sapien eget nullam.