Instagram Influence Marketing Guide: 4 Tips for Part 2 Marketers
2. What is the relevance of your influencer?
By definition, schematically, a car brand will not hire a beauty blogger for its campaign, unless it wants to reach a very specific audience for its product.
It is necessary to analyze several aspects to determine the relevance of a particular influencer:
- Demographic data: What is the average age, sex, nationality of the different subscribers of an influencer?
- The relationship with the brand or product to be promoted: In which area of expertise is the influencer? Has he been involved in any product decisions lately?
3. Analyze the impact an influencer can have on the KPIs of your campaign
Once your campaign is up and running, you can assess the impact of each influencer in real time against your goals, so you can adapt your strategies if necessary. You must first define a set of key campaign performance indicators (KPIs) to be analyzed, such as the reach or sales generated by each influencer.
Here are some examples of KPIs focused on Reach:
- Number of posts: How many posts did each influencer post on your campaign?
- Audience reached: How many impressions did your campaign generate through each influencer? What are the demographic data of the target groups?
- New customers, subscribers: Through a tracking link, registration or promotion codes, you can find out how many customers or subscribers each influencer has reported.
Examples of KPIs indicators focused on Engagement include:
- The volume of discussions generated: of the total number of earned media generated during the campaign, how many were generated by influencers and how many CMUs did your influencers generate? Tip: With a social media listening tool, you can automatically label the discussions of influencers (or subscribers, customers) to track their voice shares in real time.
- Quality of commitments: Compare the number of comments that actually interact with the brand or generate interest versus the number of comments that only focus on the influencer’s personality or spam. The influencer must somehow be forgotten for the benefit of your brand.
Sales-focused KPIs include:
- The sales volume each influencer generated for your campaign. Use a unique tracking link or custom discount code to assign each sale to each influencer.
4. Benchmark your Instagram influence strategy against your competitors.
It’s important to be ahead of the competition, including when it comes to marketing campaigns and the use of Instagram influencers. What is important for you to look at:
- How your competitors use these influencers for their marketing campaigns
- The results: Online, what shares of voice and feelings your competitor gained during their marketing campaign with an influencer.
Also, when searching for the right influencer for your brand, you can of course eliminate those already engaged with your competitors to avoid creating ambiguity among your customers.
While Instagram influencers, and influence marketing in general, have been the target of criticism and skepticism about the value they can bring to a brand and their authenticity in the face of the not-so-serious nature of social media, this does not mean that they are ineffective for B2C brands. With good metrics, good KPIs, and benchmarks put in place, marketers can then identify the ideal influencer for their next marketing or awareness campaign and assess the impact of it on the goals set by the company.